From time to time, Terracotta Journeys has trip leader positions available, and encourages qualified applicants to apply.
Trip leaders must have a special combination of skills: strong cycling (or hiking) ability, people and organizational skills as well as regular seasonal availability. Tours require 3-10 day commitments during the spring, summer and fall. Being a trip leader is gratifying but it is also intense work, and requires an energetic person in top physical shape, Most important, the individual must be capable of working autonomously and striving to continuously improve the tour experience.
Valuable criteria we look for:
• Multi-day cycling or walking tour experience
• Knowledge of bike mechanics
• Prior tour-guiding or related experience
• Strong speaking and communication skills with adults
• Enthusiastic and responsible attitude
• Bilingual English/Portuguese or English/Spanish, preferably resident of Iberia
• Knowledge of Iberian history, culture, nature, cuisine
• Clean driving record and valid European driver’s license
• Red Cross First Aid/CPR Certification
• Guiding 3-10 day long cycling and walking tours for groups of up to 16 guests
• Biking with and assisting cyclists of varied abilities
• Driving a 9-passenger support van with roof racks and trailer system
• Navigating both van and bicyle via a GPS unit
• Maintaining a fleet of 24-speed hybrid bikes during tour
• Learning cycling routes and historic information; giving daily briefings
• Shopping for and preparing picnics for guests
• Taking guest luggage to hotel rooms
• Facilitating social interaction between guests of varied ages and backgrounds
• Managing tour logistics in a safe and responsible way
• Interfacing with staff at hotels, restaurants, tour attractions, etc.